This recipe is a great tortilla soup base. You can add a meat or other veggies. Use your imagination! However you prepare it, it’s a perfect fall recipe.
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and start to saute your onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
Add the spice mixture of chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
Stir to combine.
Add your broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and water.
Rinse and drain your black beans and add them to the pot.
Bring to a boil and then simmer (covered) for 45 minutes.
While it’s simmering, make your cornmeal paste…
by adding a little bit of water to the cornmeal and stir. I know it’s a weird ingredient, but it gives a nice little corn flavor and adds some texture to the soup. Just trust me:)
Add the paste to the soup and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Season to taste, add the frozen corn, and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
Garnish and serve!
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic; minced
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel with green chiles
32 oz. (or 4 cups) vegetable broth (you can sub chicken broth if you prefer)
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups hot water
2 (15 0z.) cans black beans; rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn
3 Tablespoons cornmeal
(optional toppings: tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, etc…)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, red bell pepper, and minced garlic. Sitr and begin cooking, then add the spice mix. Stir to combine.
2. Pour in tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, water, and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes; covered.
3. Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water to make a paste.
4. Pour the paste into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
5. Check seasonings and add more salt, paste, etc…to taste. Add the frozen corn. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes.
6. Garnish as desired. Enjoy!