This is my new favorite oatmeal and that says a lot from me. You must make it. Seriously. Apples and almond butter go perfectly together. Then you add cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar and it’s like an apple pie. It’s also a great recipe to make ahead and reheat as needed.
2 cups old fashioned oats (can use gluten-free oats)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 3/4 cups cashew milk (or milk of your choice)
1 large egg
3 tablespoons cinnamon applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup creamy all-natural almond butter (or nut butter of your choice)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 cups diced apples (I leave the skin on)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 square baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In another small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the peanut butter and mix until combined. Add the apples and almond; stir again. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and oatmeal is set. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Note-this baked oatmeal is great reheated in the microwave. We like to make a pan and eat it throughout the week. This recipe can easily be doubled for a 9 x 13 pan. Use gluten-free oats to make this recipe gluten-free. You can serve with brown sugar, an extra splash of milk, cinnamon, or raisins if desired!
Recipe adapted from: Two Peas and Their Pod