If you’ve read my blog for very long, you know all about my love for quinoa. This recipe really steps it up a notch by combining a cheesy spinach artichoke dip, quinoa, and crunchy parmesan panko topping. (The crispy, golden edges are my favorite!)
Combine the rinsed quinoa and vegetable broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes until broth is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
Parmesan Panko Topping:
1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
3 cups vegetable broth or water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz fresh spinach leaves
2 cups chopped artichoke hearts (We use canned and drained artichoke hearts)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk of your choice (I used Cashew Milk)
3 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Dash of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup feta cheese
Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Parmesan Panko Topping:
4 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Add quinoa and vegetable to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until broth is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until it shrinks down, about 3 minutes. Stir in the artichoke hearts. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan add 3 tablespoons of butter and flour and heat over medium heat. Whisk continuously until a paste forms. Whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium/high and bring to a boil whisking the whole time. Stir in cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Whisk until smooth.
5. Add the quinoa into the large skillet with the spinach and artichoke mixture. Pour the cheese sauce over the top and stir well. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with feta cheese.
6. To make the topping, combine melted butter, Panko bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the quinoa bake. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod