Even though this is a simple recipe, there’s something special about the caramelized edges of grilled cauliflower. It’s topped off with grilled lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley. We served ours as the main dish with a few more veggie sides, but it would be a great accompaniment to whatever you’re grilling this summer!
Start by heating your grill. Keep the core and stalk in place until you’ve sliced the cauliflower. With a large knife, slice cauliflower head lengthwise into 1-inch thick slices. Then cut away the stalk from each slice. Spread butter over both sides of cauliflower.
2 medium heads cauliflower
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp coarse sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Turn a gas grill to high, or ignite charcoal. When grill is hot or the coals have begun to turn gray, carefully lay cauliflower directly on the grill or use a cast iron skillet. Heat for at least 10 minutes.
2. Keep the core and stalk in place until after you’ve sliced cauliflower. With a large knife, cut cauliflower head lengthwise into 1-inch-thick slices. Cut away the stalk (just the base of it) from the bottom of each slice.
3. Give each cauliflower steak a good smear of butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Place cauliflower slabs on the hot grill and cook until they show a caramalized crust (5-6 minutes).
5. While they cook, halve lemons and place cut-side down on the hot grill for 2 minutes. Remove lemons and set aside.
6. With a spatula, turn each cauliflower slab, and grill the other side until caramelized (about 5 minutes). When both slides are golden brown, transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with juice from grilled lemons, and garnish with parsley and Parmesan. Serve while hot.
Recipe adapted from: Michael Chiarello